Hi! I've tried to ask via XAPI's github project , but there has been no activity on issues there in more than one month, so I'll try here too.
- A pool of hosts (any 7.x version of XenServer).
- VMs residing on local storage
Then we want to upgrade the pool to 7.6 without any downtime, so:
- we migrate the VMs from master to another host
- we upgrade the master host with the 7.6 installer ISO image
- we reboot master
- then we want to migrate the VMs back to master so that we can upgrade another host, but we can't: "This operation is not supported during an upgrade"
At first sight, this doesn't look like a bug. There's a commit that explicitly removed `migrate_send` from the list of available operations a long time ago .
I'm trying to understand why, so here are my questions:
- Is it wanted, and if so why this restriction? Especially knowing that inter-pool storage migration from an older version of XS to the latest is possible.
- What's the proper way of upgrading a pool of hosts that have VMs on local storage to avoid any downtime due to suspending them for upgrading the host they run on?